Nectarine Upside-Down Cake recipe
With an abundance of delicious nectarines available now, why not try a simple upside-down cake that showcases this sweet, seasonal fruit? Perfect for breakfast or dessert and beautiful with the carmelized fruit arranged on top. More delicious served with a dollop of crème frâiche and a cup of coffee.
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 cups nectarines, cut into bite-sized pieces or 1/4 inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Place 4 tablespoons butter in a round 9-inch cake pan and melt in oven.
- When melted, sprinkle brown sugar evenly over top.
- Arrange nectarines in one even layer in bottom of pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat 6 tablespoons butter until light and fluffy, add sugar and beat until combined, beat eggs one at a time and mix in vanilla. With the mixer on low, add flour mixture in three parts, alternating with yogurt until combined.
- Pour cake batter over nectarines and bake until cake is dark golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about an hour and 10 minutes.
- Let cool 15 minutes, run a knife along the edge to loosen and invert cake onto a serving plate. Serve with a dollop of crème frâiche and a cup of coffee.