Healthy Halloween Desserts – Part 3: Pumpkin Pie Brownies
This recipe is from guest blogger—Courtenay Miles
This is our own take on a favorite Peanut Butter and Chocolate swirl bars. In this case, we use canned pumpkin and cream cheese to create a pumpkin pie-flavored swirl! The pumpkin not only adds festive color, but antioxidants and vitamins to each brownie.
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 package (3 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8x8" baking pan.
- For the Brownie batter: Beat together melted butter, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer. Then beat in eggs one at a time. Whisk flour and cocoa powder in small bowl, and then gradually stir into butter mixture by hand.
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl until well blended.
- Spread about 2/3 of brownie batter into prepared pan. Drop dollops of the pumpkin batter over top, distributing evenly. Drop the remaining brownie batter over pumpkin batter. To make the swirls, run a butter knife back and forth through the pan, making figure swirls.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Do you have a favorite Halloween dessert? Let us know what it is in the comments below!
Courtenay Miles enjoyed a long career in high tech public relations. Most recently, this Bay Area resident has turned her attention to her favorite finds in the San Francisco Area. In addition to sharing San Francisco’s wonderful “sights and bites”, she, her husband and three daughters are discovering new ways to prepare and appreciate each season’s produce bounty found in their weekly CSA delivery box! Recipes, adventures and day-to-day musings can be found at sfsightsandbites.blogspot.com