Creamy Broccoli Garlic Soup Recipe
Sometimes I just make soup so I have something to dip my grilled cheese into. The best thing is any type of bisque, preferably shrimp bisque, but being lactose intolerant I try to avoid cream-based soups (I know grilled cheese has lactose in it too, but seriously, you have to pick your poison). But that soft, silky texture is what I’m going for, all the better to stick to the sides of a crisp, lightly cheesy sandwich.
What I’ve found is you can give any soup that creamy texture with two things: bread crumbs and an immersion blender. A half cup of bread crumbs, and by crumbs I mean just torn up chunks of a sourdough or other leavened bread, not a box of breadcrumbs, and a quick whir of the immersion blender turns any soup into a creamy delight. Although this recipe does have a half cup of cream, cream has a low lactose amount (average of 2.9%) which when added to the entire soup can be tolerated well by most people with lactose sensitivity.
This is a great use for bread ends that have hardened. Just cut them into chunks and toss them into a bag. Freeze them until the next time you want to make this soup and toss a handful in at the end, let them get soft and blend them up.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups stock
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 8 cloves garlic, roasted
- 1 cup bread chunks, sourdough
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy bottom pan melt butter over medium heat, sauté onions, carrots and celery until onions are translucent and carrots are soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add flour and sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes, until flour has coated all ingredients and begins to brown.
- Add stock, Worcestershire sauce and cream and bring to a low boil.
- Add broccoli and simmer until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add roasted garlic and bread chunks, letting sit until soft and then blend soup until creamy in a food processor or blender.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in bowls, sprinkle with cheddar cheese.