Thanksgiving Recipe: Rainbow Chard Casserole with Wild Mushrooms
Quick casseroles are excellent for making ahead – this one can easily sit for two hours covered prior to serving – to save you time and oven space while the turkey finishes. This healthy and tasty dish holds the flavors of the season.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound wild mushrooms, shiitake, chanterelles, or cremini - stems discarded and caps sliced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 3/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 10 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds Rainbow chard, stems discarded and leaves thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Butter a shallow 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over high heat until shimmering. Add mushrooms and cook, tossing infrequently, until they’ve rehydrated and are starting to appear golden and crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a small bowl, toss the panko with 1/4 cup of the cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the cayenne, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 cup of the cheese. Stir in the Swiss chard and mushrooms.
- Scrape mixture into baking dish and place in over for about 20 minutes, until the eggs are just set around the edges (wiggle the dish lightly to see if the eggs have set).
- Sprinkle the panko-cheese mixture on top and bake for about 10 minutes longer, until the casserole is set and the topping is lightly browned.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Get this recipe and other great Thanksgiving holiday recipes in our free ebook. Mix and match salad, perfect mashed potatoes, delicious turkey gravy and helpful tips to make sure all of your favorite dishes goes off without a hitch. Download your copy now!