Shredded Carrot and Pistachio Salad Recipe
In my seemingly constant attempt to stay ahead of my carrot supply I came across this simple yet delicious recipe for Gajar Kaju Kachamber in The Best of Lord Krishna’s Cuisine by Yamuna Devi. It is perfect for a light side dish or accompaniment to broiled heavily seasoned main courses. She prepares it with cashews, though I prefer the slightly crunchier and sweeter pistachio.
I think this would also be delicious if the carrots were quartered and quickly broiled at high heat, making the outside browned and sweet and the inside still crunchy and delicious. Give it a whirl as a side to your next Indian-themed feast.
- 1 cup scraped finely shredded carrots, pressed dry
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red or yellow bell peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 1/3 cup chopped pistachio nuts, toasted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp yogurt or crème frâiche
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp black mustard seeds
- 1 Tbsp coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine the carrots, bell peppers, nuts, salt, and yogurt or crème frâiche in a mixing bowl.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat until hot, but not smoking.
- Add the mustard seeds and fry until they sputter and pop, turning grey.
- Pour the seasoning into the salad, and the fresh cilantro and toss to mix.
- Serve immediately.