Grilled Beets with Walnuts and Gorgonzola Recipe
Although beets are often seen as winter vegetables, spring beets and their greens are a great addition to summer grilling. Not only are their flavors rich and well suited for the smoky nuances of barbecue, their high sugar content allows them to caramelize easily becoming sweet and tender.
Try this simple beet salad preparation next time you’re grilling outdoors. Serve with grilled meats and a dry Rosé.
- 6 large whole beets with greens
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dry thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp dry basil leaves
- 1/8 tsp dry oregano
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups walnuts
- 1/4 stick butter
- 1 1/2 ounces red wine vinegar
- 2 ounces Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound soft Gorgonzola
- 1/4 cup chives (cut into match sticks)
- Preheat a grill.
- Remove greens, chop and set aside.
- Cover beets by 3 inches with cold water in a large saucepot.
- Bring the water to boil and simmer until paring knife slides out of beet when pricked.
- Strain and let cool. While running under water, rub beets with towel to remove skin.
- Slice beets into 1/2-inch rounds.
- Prepare marinade by combining all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well and add vegetable oil. Toss sliced beets and hold.
- To prepare the walnuts, melt butter in a 10-inch skillet and add walnuts. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes and season well with salt and pepper. Remove walnuts and add beet greens, cook until tender tossing to coat with butter, about 3-4 minutes.
- For the vinaigrette add all the ingredients and any remaining walnut butter. Whisk well.
- To finish, grill beets on both sides for 2 minutes and toss in vinaigrette. Place 4 to 6 slices of beets over greens on each plate and drizzle with vinaigrette. Add 5 dollops of goat's cheese (1 to 2 ounces) per serving, sprinkled with walnuts and chives.
Recipe adapted from FoodNetwork.com