Best Baked Spinach Recipe
We’re seeing a lot of green lately – specifically the green of fresh spinach. Every week we’ve been getting spinach in our box and we’re eager to put it to use. Spinach is quite the superfood loaded with iron, calcium, and even protein. With big holiday meals behind us and New Year’s Eve just around the corner its time we start thinking like Popeye and load up on our greens!
To add a little decadence to the situation we’ve got cream and shredded cheese in this delicious baked spinach recipe. If you’ve got lots of greens around the house feel free to add kale or chard to the dish. Enjoy with friends alongside a roast chicken for a simple tasty New Year’s Eve meal!
- 3 pounds fresh spinach, washed and stems removed
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onions, diced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp fine, dry breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a 9x8x2 inch baking dish.
- Steam the spinach until leaves are just wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Quickly rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process and keep the green color.
- In a large pan over medium heat, melt the butter and add the onions.
- Sauté until onions begin to caramelize, about 8 minutes.
- Squeeze excess moisture from the spinach and coarsely chop.
- Add spinach to the onions and cook until all the moisture in the pan has cooked off.
- Bring the heat to low and add the flour. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add stock, cream and nutmeg. Stir and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread spinach mixture in the baking dish.
- In a small bowl mix the cheeses, parsley and breadcrumbs. Sprinkle over the spinach.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned.