Citrus Salad Recipe
Bright and refreshing citrus is all around us right now. From blood oranges with their bold dark color and navel oranges with their crisp bright flavor. Oranges are perfect to throw in a lunch box or juice into a smoothie, but what about making them the star of the meal?
This dish is packed with bright flavors that make it feel like it could be warm outside. Though the weather may not be changing yet, we’ve got plenty of citrus around to add some color to our days. Citrus is loaded with antioxidants and nutrients that are perfect for helping you survive the colder days.
For this salad it is best to peel the fruit with a knife. To do this, first cut off a small piece from both ends. Stand the fruit up on one of the ends and begin running your knife down the sides, curving around the fruit as you go to remove the skin and white pith. When done peeling they should look similar to the picture below.
Don’t waste the juicy fruit left on the peels, snack on them while you cook, or squeeze the juice out and save for a dressing recipe in the future. Serve this salad alongside grilled chicken breast or prawns for a bright and satisfying meal. Add shaved fennel or green onions for additional flavor!
- 2 grapefruits
- 6 oranges, any kind
- 2 Blood oranges
- 1 Meyer lemon
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup pistachios, shelled and chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Peel all of the citrus with your knife by cutting off a small piece from both ends. Stand fruit up on one end and begin running your knife down the sides, curving around the fruit as you go to remove the skin and white pith.
- Slice citrus into rings, like in the recipe image.
- Spread slices out on a plate, top with radishes, avocado, pistachios, salt and pepper.
- Finish with a drizzle of olive oil.
Recipe and Photos by Ilana Pulda of www.ilanafreddye.com