Brilliant Broccoli Hummus
When choosing broccoli, pick florets that are compact and free from bruises. The heads should be uniformly colored (either dark green, sage or purple-green, depending on the variety) and not have any yellowing, as this is a sign of over-maturity. The stalk and stems should be firm with no slimy spots and if leaves are attached, they should be vibrant and not wilted.
Once selected, you can bake, boil, steam, fry or really do anything you want with broccoli. For something a bit different, try this hummus for a nice array of summer flavors.
- 1 1/2 cup raw broccoli, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup raw zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 cup raw carrots, chopped
- 1/3 cup raw tahini
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp organic mustard
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper
- Place the broccoli, zucchini and carrots into a food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Add the tahini, yeast, mustard, sea salt, cumin and lemon juice and continue blending until smooth, stopping regularly to scrape the sides.
- For thinner hummus, add additional lemon juice.
- Serve with your favorite crackers or pita bread.
Adapted from Choosing Raw.