Family Eggplant Lasagna
Homemade lasagna remains one of my favorite guilty pleasures. The cheese, the sauce, the baked-with-love feeling that comes from a sitting down to a hearty family dinner… And this seasonal twist on a classic is a great way to use the fresh organic eggplants that are being delivered by Full Circle this time of year.
We’d love to hear about your favorite eggplant recipes. Share in the comments for a chance to be featured in a future article!
- 2 medium organic eggplants
- 5 tbs olive oil, divided
- Coarse sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb organic plum tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 1 clove organic garlic
- 3 lbs grass-fed ground beef, cooked and drained (optional)
- 1 15-ounce package whole Ricotta cheese
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1½ cups grated Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice eggplant into thin strips (about 1/4" thick) and place on a baking sheet. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, puree the tomatoes, garlic, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Once blended, stir in the cooked beef (if desired) and set aside.
- Mix together Ricotta cheese, eggs and Parmesan cheese in a separate bowl.
- Prepare a large baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and begin layering lasagna as follows: sauce, cheese mixture, eggplant, cheese mixture, sauce and then top with Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake until bubbly, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Add a Pinch.