Recipe #3 – 3 Healthy Fall Appetizers
Warm Chickpea Salad with Black Mustard Seeds & Grated Coconut
- If you want it authentic, soak 2 cups of dry garbanzo beans in water overnight, and cook them the next day until al dente. For a more convenient alternative, use canned garbanzo/chickpeas.
- 1 can garbanzo beans or chickpeas, drained and rinsed (to get rid of the “canny” odor)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- Pinch turmeric powder
- 1 green chili, slit lengthwise
- 1/4 cup grated unsweetened coconut (available at any Indian Store or Asian store)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Pour a couple teaspoons of cooking oil into a pan and get the heat going.
- Splutter ½ teaspoon black mustard seeds, a pinch of turmeric powder and throw in the drained garbanzo beans/chickpeas, along with the green chili. Add salt to taste. Stir for 3-5 minutes, until warmed up.
- Add grated coconut to this and stir again, so as to get all the flavors going. Save a teaspoon of grated coconut to garnish before serving.
- Squeeze in some fresh lemon juice to zing it up.
- Garnish with extra grated coconut and serve.