This tart and tangy mixture of winter fruits is the perfect accent to your holiday dessert. Serve it with a simple pound cake or in heaps over vanilla ice cream. The deep ruby color of this beautiful compote makes it a great gift, but we understand if you keep it all to yourself.
If there’s any leftover come January, swirl it into spiced muffins for a breakfast that will have you dreaming of the holidays for weeks.
- 1 organic daisy tangerine
- 1 organic red d'anjou pear
- 2 cups cranberries (fresh or thawed from frozen)
- 1/2 cup organic pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup organic daisy tangerine juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Finely grate zest from tangerine and set aside.
- Using a sharp paring knife, remove peel and white pith from tangerine. Cutting between membranes, release segments into small bowl.
- Add pomegranates to bowl of tangerines, and set aside.
- Peel pear and dice into 1 inch cubes.
- Combine diced pear, cranberries, zest, syrup, juice, and vanilla in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until cranberries have burst and sauce has thickened, 5-10 minutes.
- Gently stir the tangerine and pomegranates into sauce mixture. Serve warm.
Photos courtesy of Ilana Freddye.