Red Cabbage Salad
Looking for a lighter side dish for your next BBQ? This red cabbage salad with carrots and red onions in a refreshing cider vinaigrette is just the ticket. A twist on the traditional coleslaw, the summery flavors of lime and honey with the subtle crunch of organic cabbage and carrots is everything your tastebuds are looking for this time of year. Plus, not only is this red cabbage recipe perfect on its own, it’s also wonderful on pork sandwiches and other barbecued meats.
One last thing: in case you’re on the fence about this dish, here’s six reasons to eat more cabbage. As if you need that many…
- 3 cups organic red cabbage
- 2 organic carrots (about 1 cup)
- 1 small organic red onion
- Organic radish sprouts, to garnish
- 2 Tbsp salad oil
- 2 Tbsp local honey
- Juice from 1 organic lime
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Shred the red cabbage into fine strips into a large bowl.
- Julienne the carrots and add to the cabbage.
- Slice the red onion into thin half-crescents and add to the mixture.
- Toss everything together well and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the salad oil, honey, apple cider, lime juice, salt and pepper, and cayenne. Whisk until mixed. (Pro tip: Combine ingredients in a jar and simply shake to mix.)
- Drizzle dressing over the cabbage mixture and lightly toss to coat.
- Serve chilled and topped with fresh radish sprouts.
Adapted from Picture the Recipe.